Tuesday 30 March 2010

edible letters

I used a technique similar to this on my foundation course, and also in the first project of this year. I want the website to look like it is clearly about food, at first glance, without having to read any of it. That's why I wanted to try making the header of the page literally from food.
I used ketchup, sweet chilli sauce and mayo on brown paper. I like this aesthetic better than the letters carved from fruit or veg, BUT it doesn't really fit with the 'healthy' focus of the website. Ketchup, mayo and sweet chilli sauce are all processed foods, high in sugar, salt and fat - which kind of rules them out, even though I like the way they look here.
With the fruit and veg, it's possible to be seasonal, although that would mean a constantly changing header. I think that the effect doesn't work well with the pear as there isn't much contrast, but maybe with something like a cucumber, this would look better.
I have to say that this is my favourite aesthetic so far, because it was the most fun to experiment with - but I don't know if that translates across to the reader, or even if it should - the subject is quite serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment