Wednesday 18 November 2009

Workshop with El Ultimo Grito

This week at Goldsmiths we are being briefed by Rosario and Roberto of El Ultimo Grito. We were asked to bring in three to five objects with a total cost less than £10. My objects are: a ceramic jam pot, a boot brush, toy soldiers and a fork.
The aim of the workshop is 'to create both objects and narrative contexts as one single outcome', in order to 'achieve new kinds of product typology that talk about possible futures, and the way we picture and interpret them right now.'
We must join together our objects, or parts of them, in such a way that they have a new, abstract function, for use in a specific future. The outcomes of the workshop should be a 300-word story about a possible future, and an object made for use in this future. The object should be painted white.
I initially investigated my objects through drawing and photography, and then started to think about the possible narrative or future.
It is important to me that I can relate this workshop to my final major project, so my 'future' will explore the life of a former chef, in a world where it is illegal to sell food, set in 2019.


The toy soldiers are too decorative for the purposes of the brief, so I've discarded them. Tomorrow I plan to slice up the boot brush, and attach it to the bent fork and jam lid. This might be some kind of serving device for food, or something which tests its value.

No comments:

Post a Comment