Wednesday 18 November 2009

TED talks, Unpackaged store, BBC3 program

BBC3 program: Britain's Really Disgusting Foods

Unpackaged: This is a store in London that sells organic, non-air-freighted products, unpackaged. For example: shower gel, pasta, dried fruit, eggs, jam and more. You are asked to bring your own containers with you, or you can buy re-usable containers at the store. I plan to go and visit it soon! (42 Amwell Street, London, EC1R 1XT, mon-fri 10-7, sat 9-6) See the website here.

Thanks Jess for telling me about these!

Yesterday, I took a look at the website for a book called 'Hungry City' by Carolyn Steel, which had been recommended to me. (see it here) This then led me to watch a TED talk that she had done. I've never been to ted.com before, but I'm now hooked! (Thanks Michael!) I watched three talks:
Carolyn Steel - How food shapes our cities
Mark Bittman - What's wrong with what we eat
Louise Fresco - Feeding the whole world (pro mass-production)

It was also brilliant to be able to see the other side of the argument. Louise Fresco argues that if we go back to small scale, local food production, the farmers who currently produce supermarket produce for very little money will lose their income altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment