Tuesday 3 November 2009

Pushing and developing project: movies


It was hard to know where to start in order to develop my project this week. I started by looking through my briefing document, and decided to spend yesterday watching some movies I had come across in my search for resources. These were - 'Our Daily Bread', 'Super-size me' (both documentaries) and 'Fast-food nation' (more fictional). I found the first movie, 'Our Daily Bread', most interesting and helpful, even if it did make me feel sick.

The entire documentary has no voiceover or music - it doesn't comment on the images you are seeing. This can be frustrating as in places I wasn't sure what process I was watching, or what food was being produced. The movie is full of shocking footage of how food is produced today. Enormous greenhouses contain rows of peppers, tomatoes, apples, and cucumbers, which are sprayed by robotic machines running along tracks between the rows. Hundreds of thousands of chickens in a big, dark shed are collected for slaughter by a terrifying vacuum-like machine. There is horrifying footage of pigs, cows and chickens being slaughtered.

I kept thinking, I don't want to eat food that has been produced this way. But how can we ever know for sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment