Tuesday 3 November 2009

Food mapping

Today I spent some time exploring and expressing one of my interests - how far the food we eat has travelled. I looked at onions, pineapples, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in three local shops: Planet Organic, Sainsbury's Local, and Tesco Metro.

Cucumbers: Holland (Planet Organic) and Spain (Planet Organic, Tesco Metro)
Pineapples: Togo (Planet Organic) and Costa Rica (Sainsbury's Local)
Tomatoes: Spain (Planet Organic, Tesco), Morocco (Tesco, Sainsbury's) and Italy (Sainsburys)
Peppers: all stores only had peppers from Holland
Onions: Holland (Planet Organic, Tesco) and Spain (Tesco, Sainsbury's)All these fruits and vegetables are good for you, but are they good for anyone else?
Can't we grow onions and cucumbers here?
I've never heard of Togo until now.
Maybe I should go to Holland to see where these foods are being produced?
I'm not sure what that would achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment