Friday 5 February 2010

N1 mapping and feedback

My idea is to provide some kind of service where a person can enter their budget (e.g. for a week), the number and type of meals they need (e.g. 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners), for how many people (e.g. 2 adults) and their postcode. As a result of entering this information, they will receive a meal planner, recipes, and a shopping list map for the week.

Ethical, seasonal, healthy eating - on a budget.

I've begun the enormous task of mapping the places that sell food in N1, London. I want to compile a database that includes information about the prices of ethical, seasonal ingredients (for nutritious, cheap meals) in each of these shops. I'm doing this recipe by recipe - so far I've looked at porridge (for breakfast) and beetroot & bean pasta (dinner), and compared prices of the ingredients at 5 local shops, Ocado online and Sainsbury's online. I'm making sure that each ingredient adheres to the guidelines I developed through my context report / dissertation.


The task of gathering all this data and then designing a user-friendly, simple way to organise it, can be overwhelming! But I have to start somewhere.

See the N1 map so far here.

In addition to this, I'm trying to get some feedback from N1 residents. I've been using the method that I first tried successfully in October last year, when I was trying to find out what local people wanted to happen to a disused building. This means putting printed postcards in bus stops all around the area, with questions on, and an old mobile number for people to text their answer to. I put up five a couple of days ago, but haven't received any feedback yet. Either people are more reluctant to answer these questions, or the cards were removed before anyone saw them. I've printed off more now and I'll put them up around the area over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment