Thursday 25 February 2010

Ministry of Food exhibition & web page ideas

I've spent this evening scanning in and colouring my web page ideas. I'm not happy at all with the colour - I didn't give much thought to it, I just wanted to use it to show the different areas of the site. You can see I've experimented with some different combinations, but my priority today was to make the pages make sense.

Here's an example (above). I've tried to think about what the simplest way to communicate the information is, what links each page needs, and what the minimum data necessary is, to make it work. Every time I draw a page I want to change it! So hand-drawing is quite a slow process. I have a tutorial with my project mentor, Belinda, tomorrow - I'm hoping she will have some tips for me in reference to improving this process.

Above, I've tried to map all the pages I've drawn so far, working out how they link together, where they lead to, and what pages are missing. As you can see it's quite complicated! I've roughly coloured all the pages tonight and so tomorrow I'll try to lay them out on the studio wall in a way that makes sense.

I finally got round to seeing this exhibition! A brief summary: "The Ministry of Food examines how the British public adapted to food shortages during the Second World War, learning how to be both frugal and inventive on the ‘Kitchen Front’." I really recommend this exhibition. I could easily have spent hours and hours there - it contains so much information, things to watch, read, and listen to. It is interesting because in many ways, the rationed diet was quite healthy - less meat, more vegetables, etc. However, it also encouraged not just farmers in the UK, but across the British empire, to produce as much food as possible, to use machines, to use less space, etc.... which probably escalated and led to the crazy system of food production that exists today (with little regard for environment, ethics, etc). I really recommend this exhibition. It's £3.95 for a student ticket.
See the exhibition details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment